How do you learn? How do you grow?
One of my favorite questions to ask during an interview is “what’s an important/impactful book you’ve read?” Not everyone who interviews with me for sales jobs is an avid reader – and that’s certainly okay – but I really (selfishly?) enjoy a brief chat about good books because I often take away new titles for my own reading lists. Sometimes I even get to geek out a little about sci-fi novels with a fellow fan.
And since there are so many ways to absorb knowledge these days, when I meet a candidate who isn’t an avid reader we talk about podcasts, news outlets, video streaming services, and more. We live in a time where the world and all its knowledge is at our fingertips, and anyone can access it!
As you might imagine, I’ve gotten some fantastic recommendations over the past seven years chatting about important books with hundreds of interesting candidates. Here’s a (non-comprehensive) list of some oft-mentioned books that I think are important for sales professionals, or anyone who wants to grow their career!
Sales / Marketing Books
- The Lost Art of Closing – Anthony Iannarino
- The Psychology of Selling – Brian Tracy
- Getting Naked – Patrick Lencioni
- Building a Story Brand – Donald Miller
Self-Help / Psychology / Mindset Books
- Give and Take – Adam Grant
- Daring Greatly – Brene Brown
- Outliers – Malcom Gladwell
- The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People – Stephen Covey
Inspirational / Spiritual Growth and Leadership Books
- Start with Why – Simon Sinek
- People Follow You – Jeb Blount
- The 360 Degree Leader – John Maxwell
- Anxious for Nothing – Max Lucado
If you want to start preparing for your next big career change or promotion, these would be fantastic books to put on your reading (or listening) list this year. Got any other suggestions for me? Shoot me an email at [email protected]. I’d love to hear your thoughts and what you think is the best book you’ve read on leadership, self-improvement, sales and marketing, business, or career advancement.